Somewhere along the way, we all get a little lost. Take a turn that leads into unfamiliar territory, make a move that, even before it’s finished, we know it was a bad one. We go about our daily lives oblivious to anything except what is happening at that particular moment in our own circle, be it our circle of family, circle of friends or circle of work. We think about our health, our cars, our pets, our homes. We think about what we’ve lost and what we hope to accomplish. And there’s nothing wrong with that, at least on a limited scale … but when our eyes can no longer focus on anything that goes past the end of our nose, then it becomes a problem and it is at that moment that we become lost. Now, mayhaps you are reading this and saying to yourself that this is utter nonsense and that people don’t get lost within themselves. But I ask you, where else does one get lost? Who holds us prisoner at night when we are tossing and turning, chasing sleep and trying to outrun dreams that plague us? Who taunts us to believe the worst about ourselves and remind ourselves of all the wrongs, mistakes, harsh words and missed opportunities that have come and gone in our lives? Who congers the ghosts that threaten our very sanity and then curl into a ball when we reach the lowest level we can go and still have a pulse? At what point do we stop beating ourselves up for a past we cannot change and a future we cannot control? I look back on my own life way more than is good for me. I revisit embarrassing moments and know, without a doubt, that the person or persons who were a part of it think of it as often as I do. Memories of tears and pain that have been long past resurface and again, I am certain that the other parties involved think of it, too. It is at this point that I cannot see past the nose on my face. When my own shortcomings force me to admit loudly and often how imperfect I was, am and forever will be, I am, without a doubt, my own worst enemy. Moving forward is the only option, unless death gets to us first and the only way to move forward is to cut the bonds that hold us in place. I’m looking for the scissors even as I write this … how about you?
Other roads on the way to now
- You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a recipe for spicy Thai coconut curry chicken. I… instagram.com/p/BNsjSVOhuII/ 11 months ago
- Haven't found the offensive tweet but have changed my pw. Any malicious tweet re: #GatlinburgFires did not come from me. 11 months ago
- I received a notification that I retweeted something I'd never share. I fear my account has been hacked #Gatlinburg is in my prayers. 11 months ago
- The Canon lens coffee mug I gave myself for my birthday. Had no idea this existed. Great gift… instagram.com/p/BNiWXhzBszs/ 11 months ago
- Read Baxter's account of the events that got him in trouble ginamintonkearns.com/2016/12/01/my-… #greatpyreneespup #deerhunter #intelligentdog 11 months ago